The William McKinley and Jessie M. Osborne Writing Center at Hathaway Brown has a central goal: to help girls find their voices. Once a year, the Center presents the Young Writers and Artists Festival, an immersive workshop open to Cleveland-area high school girls. The festival, October 30-31, offers opportunities to grow in poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction. Each section offers students the opportunity to pursue their creative passions and develop their craft by working with a talented and accomplished professional writer or artist in an inclusive setting with other invested young writers and artists.
Above: Read the festival’s digital brochure from this week’s New York Times.
This year’s workshops are listed below. Learn more about each workshop here.
- Mindfulness with Alexandra Fuller
- Poetry with Naomi Shihab Nye
- Poetry with Jamaal May
- Spoken-Word Poetry with Sarah Kay
- Creative Nonfiction with David Giffels
- Flash Fiction with John Estes
- Playwriting with Nina Dominique-Glover
- Songwriting with SoNuvo
- Comics with Derf Backderf
- Printmaking with Liz Maugans
- Painting with James March
- Photography with James Douglas
See you at the festival, October 30-31!